I know what you’re after: a genuinely great gift for a watercolor artist—something practical that they’ll genuinely use and find beneficial.
However, it shouldn’t be too commonplace; it needs that unique personal touch, doesn’t it?
I discussed this with my mother, a watercolor artist, and together, we curated the absolute best gift ideas.
Gifts For Watercolor Artists
As mentioned earlier, my mother and I have compiled a list of the best gift ideas. Here’s what we’ve come up with:
- Professional Watercolor Set: Gift a high-quality watercolor set with a diverse range of colors, providing the artist with a vibrant palette for their creations.
- Watercolor Paper Sampler: A variety pack of premium watercolor papers allows artists to experiment with different textures, enhancing the depth and uniqueness of their artworks.
- Portable Watercolor Palette: Opt for a compact and travel-friendly palette, making it easy for artists to paint on the go and unleash their creativity outdoors.
- Customized Brush Set: Consider a personalized set of high-quality brushes tailored to the artist’s preferences, ensuring a smooth and enjoyable painting experience.
- Watercolor Sketchbook: A specialized watercolor sketchbook with thick, acid-free paper is perfect for capturing spontaneous ideas and experimenting with techniques.
- Lightweight Easel: Provide the artist with a lightweight and adjustable easel for comfortable painting sessions, whether in a studio or plein air.
- Watercolor Brush Pen Set: These versatile brush pens offer the convenience of a pen with the expressive quality of a brush, making them an excellent addition to any watercolorist’s toolkit.
- Art Studio Subscription: Consider a subscription to an online art studio or workshop, providing the artist with access to tutorials, inspiration, and a community of fellow watercolor enthusiasts.
If you haven’t found the perfect fit yet, don’t stress! More fantastic ideas are on the horizon, and I’m confident that one of them will hit the mark for you. Stay tuned for the ideal inspiration you’ve been searching for!
Understanding Watercolor Artists
First of all, watercolor artists tend to be very detail-oriented. Because watercolor paints are so transparent, mistakes are much harder to cover up than they would be with other types of paint.
This means that watercolor artists need to be very precise and careful in their brushstrokes. A high-quality set of watercolor brushes, such as the KomalC Genuine Leather Case, can be a great gift for a watercolor artist.
Watercolor artists also tend to be very patient. Watercolor paints take longer to dry than other types of paint, which means that artists need to be willing to wait between layers.
This patience can pay off, however, as the layering of watercolor paints can create stunning depth and texture. A Meeden Artist Watercolor Field Easel Portable Easel can be a great gift for a watercolor artist who likes to paint outdoors, as it allows them to set up their painting station anywhere and take their time with their work.
Finally, watercolor artists tend to be very passionate about their art. Watercolor painting can be a very personal and emotional experience, and many artists pour their heart and soul into their work.
A high-quality set of watercolor paints, such as the Jane Davenport Watercolor Set – Neutral, can be a wonderful gift for a watercolor artist who is passionate about their craft.
Essential Tools for Watercolor Artists
Whether you’re a beginner or a professional, there are certain tools that every watercolor artist needs.
In this section, I’ll go over the three essential tools for watercolor artists: high-quality brushes, professional watercolor paints, and watercolor paper.
One of the most important tools for watercolor artists is a set of high-quality brushes. Good brushes will hold more water and paint, allowing you to create more vibrant and detailed artwork.
When shopping for brushes, look for ones made with natural hair, such as sable or squirrel, as they tend to hold more water than synthetic brushes.
Remember: To keep your brushes in good condition, always clean them thoroughly after each use and store them in a brush holder or roll.
Professional Watercolor Paints
Another essential tool for watercolor artists is professional-grade watercolor paints. These paints are made with high-quality pigments and binders, resulting in more vibrant and long-lasting colors.
Pro Tip: To save money, consider buying a set of watercolor paints instead of individual tubes. This will give you a variety of colors to work with at a lower cost.
The final essential tool for watercolor artists is high-quality watercolor paper. This paper is designed to absorb water and hold the paint without buckling or warping.
Look for paper that is at least 140lb in weight and made from 100% cotton. Brands such as Arches and Fabriano are known for their high-quality watercolor paper.
Pro Tip: To get the most out of your watercolor paper, stretch it before painting. This will help prevent buckling and warping.
Gifts to Enhance Creativity
Here are some gift ideas that can help your favorite watercolor artist unleash their creativity:
- Art Journal: An art journal is a great place for artists to experiment with different techniques, try out new color combinations, and record their ideas. It’s also a great way to stay organized and keep track of progress. I recommend the Strathmore Visual Journal, which comes in a variety of sizes and paper types.
- Watercolor Brush Pens: Watercolor brush pens are a versatile tool that can be used for everything from sketching to painting. They’re perfect for artists who like to work on the go or who want to experiment with different techniques. I recommend the Arteza Real Brush Pens, which come in a wide range of colors and have a flexible brush tip.
- Watercolor Palette: A good watercolor palette is essential for any watercolor artist. It’s important to choose one that has enough wells for all the colors an artist likes to use. I recommend the Mijello Fusion Watercolor Palette, which has 18 wells and a removable mixing tray.
- Watercolor Paper: High-quality watercolor paper can make a big difference in the final outcome of a painting. It’s important to choose paper that can handle multiple washes without buckling or warping. I recommend the Arches Watercolor Paper, which is a favorite among many watercolor artists.
By giving a gift that enhances creativity, you’re not only supporting your favorite watercolor artist’s passion but also helping them to grow and develop as an artist.
Also interesting: Our article about creative gifts for landscapers!
Personalized Gifts for Watercolor Artists
If you’re looking for a gift for a watercolor artist in your life, consider getting them something personalized. Here are some ideas:
- Personalized paint brush case: A paint brush case with the artist’s name or initials on it is a great way to keep their brushes organized and easily accessible.
- Customized palette: You can get a palette with the artist’s name or a special message engraved on it. This will make their painting experience even more enjoyable.
- Monogrammed watercolor paper: Personalized watercolor paper is a unique gift that any watercolor artist will appreciate. You can have their initials or name printed on the paper.
- Customized art print: You can have a watercolor painting of the artist’s favorite subject or a special moment in their life, and add their name or a message to make it even more special.
- Personalized apron: An apron with the artist’s name or a funny quote related to watercolor painting will keep their clothes clean while they create.
- Engraved watercolor brushes: You can get their favorite brushes engraved with their name or initials.
- Customized art journal: A journal with the artist’s name or a special message on the cover is a great way for them to keep track of their ideas and progress.
- Personalized watercolor set: You can create a customized watercolor set with their favorite colors and have their name or initials printed on the packaging.
Remember: When choosing a personalized gift, make sure to consider the artist’s style and preferences. This will ensure that they will treasure the gift for years to come.
Luxury Gifts for Watercolor Artists
If you’re looking for a special gift for a watercolor artist in your life, consider getting them a luxurious present that they will cherish for years to come. Here are some ideas for luxury gifts that any watercolor artist would love:
Premium Art Sets
One of the best gifts you can get for a watercolor artist is a premium art set. These sets usually come with high-quality paints, brushes, and paper, all packaged in a beautiful case or box.
Some of the best brands for premium art sets include Winsor & Newton, Schmincke, and Daniel Smith. These sets are perfect for artists who want to experiment with new colors and techniques, or for those who want to upgrade their existing art supplies.
Artwork Display Easels
Another luxury gift that any watercolor artist would appreciate is an artwork display easel. These easels are designed to showcase finished paintings and can be used in galleries, exhibitions, or even in the artist’s home.
Some of the best brands for artwork display easels include Blick, Jullian, and Winsor & Newton.
Professional Lighting Equipment
Good lighting is essential for any artist, and professional lighting equipment can make a huge difference in the quality of their work.
Consider getting a watercolor artist a high-quality lighting system, such as a daylight lamp or LED light panel.
Budget-Friendly Gifts for Watercolor Artists
Arteza Watercolor Paint Set
Arteza is a brand that offers high-quality art supplies at affordable prices. Their watercolor paint set is no exception. With 36 vibrant colors, this set is perfect for beginners and professionals alike.
The paints are highly pigmented and blend easily, making them a joy to work with. Plus, the set comes with a watercolor brush and a metal tin for easy storage and transport.
Watercolor paper is a must-have for any watercolor artist. It’s important to choose a high-quality paper that can handle the wetness of the paint without warping or bleeding.
The Arteza watercolor paper is a great option for beginners, while the more experienced artist may prefer the Arches watercolor paper. Both options are affordable and offer great quality.
Watercolor Brush Set
The Mont Marte watercolor brush set is a great option for those on a budget. The set includes 10 brushes of varying sizes and shapes, making it easy to create a wide range of strokes and effects.
Plus, the brushes are made with high-quality synthetic bristles that are durable and easy to clean.
Watercolor Travel Kit
The Winsor & Newton Cotman Watercolor Pocket Plus Set is a great option for those on a budget. The set includes 12 half pans of watercolor paint, a pocket brush, and a built-in palette.
The compact size makes it easy to take with you wherever you go, so you never have to miss an opportunity to create.
Gift Cards and Subscriptions
Art Supply Store Gift Cards
Art supply stores like Michaels, Blick, and Jerry’s Artarama offer a wide range of products for watercolor artists. From high-quality paints to brushes, paper, and other accessories, these stores have everything an artist needs to create their next masterpiece.
Online Art Classes Subscriptions
Online art classes are a convenient and affordable way for watercolor artists to improve their skills and learn new techniques. Platforms like Skillshare, Udemy, and CreativeLive offer a variety of classes taught by experienced artists.
With a subscription, your favorite watercolor artist can access a wide range of classes and learn at their own pace.
Unique Gifts for Watercolor Artists
Here are some of my favorite unique gifts for watercolor artists:
- Watercolor Brush Pen Set: These brush pens are perfect for artists who love to travel or work on the go. They are easy to use and come in a variety of colors. Plus, they are mess-free and don’t require any additional equipment.
- Handmade Watercolor Paints: Handmade watercolor paints are a special treat for any artist. They are made with high-quality pigments and offer a unique texture and color variation that cannot be found in commercial paints.
- Watercolor Sketchbook: A good quality watercolor sketchbook is a must-have for any watercolor artist. Look for a sketchbook with high-quality paper that can withstand watercolor painting.
- Watercolor Postcards: Watercolor postcards are a fun and unique way to send a personal message to someone. They are perfect for artists who love to share their work with others.
- Watercolor Workshop: A watercolor workshop is a great gift for artists who want to improve their skills and learn new techniques. Look for a workshop that is taught by a professional artist and offers hands-on experience.
Remember: When choosing a gift for a watercolor artist, think about their personal style and preferences. Do they like to paint landscapes or portraits? Do they prefer bright colors or muted tones? By considering these factors, you can choose a gift that they will truly love and appreciate.
Gifts for Watercolor Artists: A Recap
One of the best gifts for watercolor artists is a high-quality set of watercolor paints. Look for paints that have rich, vibrant colors and high pigmentation. A good set of paints will allow the artist to create beautiful and vivid paintings.
Another great gift idea is a set of high-quality brushes. Watercolor brushes come in various shapes and sizes, and each brush has a specific purpose. Look for brushes made from natural fibers like sable or synthetic fibers that mimic natural fibers.
A good set of brushes will help the artist create different textures and effects in their paintings.
A watercolor paper pad is also an excellent gift for a watercolor artist. Look for paper that is acid-free and has a high weight. A good quality paper pad will allow the artist to experiment with different techniques and create beautiful paintings.
Lastly, a watercolor palette is a great gift idea. Look for a palette that has airtight compartments, so the paints don’t dry out. A good palette will help the artist organize their paints and keep them fresh for longer.
What is a good gift for an artistic person?
Consider gifting art supplies, such as high-quality paints, sketchbooks, or unique brushes. Artistic individuals also appreciate museum memberships, creative workshops, or personalized art prints that align with their preferences and inspire their creativity.
Who are 5 famous watercolor artists?
John Singer Sargent: Known for his watercolor portraits.
Winslow Homer: Renowned for his marine-themed watercolors.
J.M.W. Turner: Famous for his atmospheric watercolor landscapes.
Mary Cassatt: Celebrated for her Impressionist watercolors.
Paul Klee: Known for his abstract watercolor artworks.
How do you give an artist appreciation?
Show appreciation to an artist by attending their exhibitions, purchasing their artwork, leaving positive reviews, and sharing their work on social media. Offering sincere compliments and supporting their creative journey can also mean a lot.
Why is watercolor painting so difficult?
Watercolor painting can be challenging due to its transparency and unforgiving nature. Mistakes are harder to correct, requiring precise control of water and pigment. Achieving luminous effects and preserving whites while working quickly demand practice and skill.
If you liked this blog article about the topic: Gifts for Watercolor Artists, don’t forget to leave us a comment down below to tell us about your experience.